Monday, April 23, 2007

Happy Belated Earth Day!

Yesterday was Earth Day. When I was 14 and a self-proclaimed environmentalist, I was looking forward to Ap. 22 for months on end. Much hoopla was made in 1990 about Earth Day, mainly because it was the 20th anniversary of the day designated to get us all enviro-conscious. I think in the last 20 years we really have become more enviro-conscious, the problem is that there are just so many more of us now. That means more use of consumable goods, more use of fossil fuels and more trash we all throw into landfills. Yet, I'm not sure that, other than aluminum cans, 20 years ago there was a whole lot of thought about recycling. Those of us from my generation remember well the celebration of Earth Day, but now it seems just another passing fad. Still, what rings in my ears was the motto of the environmental protection movement: Think Globally, Act Locally.
Not sure there's a whole lot I can do to cut down on fossil fuel consumption around the world, but I can darned sure recycle this plastic water bottle I'm drinking from. And that's what I'm off to do now.

No comments: