Saturday, August 18, 2007

Super Bad

Well, it came out yesterday, but yours truly didn't want to battle the lines. So, at the first showing today, I took in "Super Bad." Wow. It's been a long time since I've watched a flick that is filled with so much profanity, drug abuse and sexual references. So, inn a few words...I loveed it!

Now that I've said that, let me remind you I'm a 32 year old man. While this movie is about high schoolers, I shudder to think some immature high schoolers might see this as an example of how they should live-not as the absurd entertainment it's meant for. We took my 16 year old stepdaughter(who will be 17 in a few months) and, well, I view movies differently now. Would I want her watching this on her own? Not necessarily. But would my parents have wanted me watching this stuff at 16? Highly doubtful.

One of the things that frightens me is that teenagers may see this as reality. In fact, at one point affter the movie, my stepdaughter asked, "Are cops really that dumb?" This was in reference to the two officers who took a high school kid around with them for a night, all three of them drinking in the squad car, having shooting contests with their service revolvers, doing doughnuts in the middle of the street, talking about women, making up lies about the crimes they were doing, etc. Do cops really act that stupid? Well, it makes me happy that she's had no run-ins with the law for her to know differently, but again, this is certainly not reality-not in any way.

If you're an adult and have a tolerence for all things profane, check it out. Chances are, you're going to laugh your tail off! If you don't know that cops don't drink on duty-then just stay away until you grow up a little more.

No comments: