Thursday, September 20, 2007

Vent

One of the biggest kicks I get is feedback from readers. It's really cool to try and track down how someone in (insert any name of town) received my books and how they got to me. Today, that waas the case once again.

I received an E mail from a teacher of visually impaired kids in PA. She'd been given a copy of "After This..." by a friend who knows her love for reading. After several kind remarks about how much she enjoyed it, Jacqui gave me a few specifics. Her most noteable was a scene in the book where I, frustrated, depressed and probably inebriated, broke down to my close friend, Hilary. With grace and compassion, Hilary let me vent...all the way. Nothing was left. And she was still there when the blubbering, red-faced mess known as moi was finished.

I don't think this is the most profound story in the book, but that's just it-someone else did. Jacqui said in her work with kids with new visual impairments, someone just needs to listen to them vent. And sometimes life just sucks. Jacqui said she feels she'll be a better listener now and will curb the pep talk until the student is ready for it. Wow, and who'd have thunk it? I wrote that scene more with the idea of developing Hilary's character-not to teach a lesson.

Thanks, Jacqui in PA, for your message, for taking the time to read my work and to show me that there are unintended benefits to my work! You've put a smile on my face for the rest of the day!

No comments: