Saturday, January 26, 2008

What Goes Around...

A few days ago, I went to my ENT doc complaining of pain in my chest. No heart attack this, but just acid reflux. Which, if you've had it, you know hurts like all things sinful!

Worse than the pain of acid in the esophagus is the cost of the medicine that works best for me. Freaking $140 per month. Grrr.

So, I told the doc of my wish NOT to have to sell a kidney to pay for the drugs. He smiled and said, "I'll be right back."

When he re-emerged fromm the hallway, he carried a month(probably two months) worth of the medication. "The pharmaceutical rep was in yesterday and supplied us with lots of samples."

I thanked him repeatedly, truly grateful for his generosity.

"Don't worry about it. I figure what goes around, comes around. My physician always gives me free cholesterol medications, so I can pass that kindness along to you. It's just the right thing to do."

THIS is the kind of attitude I love in all people, but especially in my physicians. No one gets anywhere in life without help from others. We all have help at times. This doc knows it, I know it and he's further inspired me to pass along that kindness to others.

What can you do today to pass along similar generosity? Remember...what goes around, comes around!

No comments: