Monday, July 06, 2009

Sucking Up The Fear and Staying Relevant

After posting a bit about it last week, on Saturday, I took the plunge and bought an iPhone.

Now, I'm not a gadget guy. I AM a guy, so there's a certain amount of inherent love of electronics, but I've never been the person who has to have the latest and greatest electronic update to, well, everything.

Part of the reason I'm not geeky is due to the lag of getting accessible electronics. For years, the protocol has been that an electronic device/software program is released, then six months later, a company has created a way to make it accessible for blind folks. This always keeps the blind community at least six months behind.

Not the case with Apple...and that's why I bought the iPhone. Before ever leaving Best Buy, I had an accessible iPhone in hand. Right from the counter, out of the box, a couple seconds of the sales clerk turning on the Voice Over command and...presto! Yours truly has just simplified life!

Can I survive without an iPhone? Sure. Can I continue to function with electronics that get the job done, efficiently or not? Absolutely. Do I save a ton of time and aggravation by jumping on the nerd wagon and getting the latest and greatest (and only device made to work out of the box for blind folks?)...yep.

I don't want to spend my life using technology from a half dozen years ago. I don't want to wear clothes that were popular back at Y2K. I don't want to refuse to be up on items that make life simplier and faster-I want to stay relevant. And the Apple iPhone allows me to do just that...and to do it in a way that's never been as easy for blind folks.

Thanks, Apple, for your foresight and depth of knowledge in creating a product that'll be a huge addition to my life!

No comments: