Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Daily Reminder

Today, I was hanging out with my friend, Maddison. Maddi is 16 and has the class project to read, "Night" by Elie Wiesel. If you're not familiar, this is Wiesel's account of his time in Auschwitz. Just a few pages of his story gave me that much-needed slap of realization – the realization of just how good we have it.

If I named my 10 biggest problems in the world now, they'd not equal even a portion of Wiesel's first 10 minutes in the concentration camp. Taking a quick look at "Night" or "The Diary of Anne Frank" or "One Man's Search for Meaning" or any other account of the holocaust should be just enough of a dose of reality to make us know how much we have to appreciate in this world of ours.

www.myspace.com/marcusengel
www.marcusengel.com

No comments: