Tuesday, November 04, 2008

You're Never Too Old To Rock-N-Roll...or Shoot Hoops!

Ya know, it's one thing that this fella is a full time college student. I hope when I'm in my 70s, I'm still this excited about life! But to put on a pair of Nikes and hit the court when most peers are drawing Social Security? That's just too cool!

****

Grandpa's Got Game -- Ken Mink, 73, Scores in Collegiate Contest

His joints may be a little creaky -- and he may not have played competitive ball for 50 years -- but 73 year old college basketball player Ken Mins is on the scoreboard and possibly in the recordbooks.

The retiree, who is a full-time college student at Roane State Community College, came into a game last night against King College's junior varsity with about 16 minutes left in the second half. He attempted one shot in about three minutes. When Mink entered the game seven minutes later, he was fouled and made two free throws.

"I found myself on the free-throw line 52 years after my last college game," Mink said. "I said, 'Just relax and shoot it like you know how to all day long.' I just floated the shots in there. I'm in the books now. I can relax a little bit."

Mink played ball at Lees College in Jackson, KY, half a century ago but was expelled after someone soaped the basketball coach's office. He still insists he didn't do it.

No comments: